Traditionally, a sedenka is a gathering of women for the purpose of enjoying each other's company, while working through the long winter nights.
For us, SEDENKA is a gathering of women for the purpose of sharing songs and dances from around the world in a nurturing and harmonious environment.
Founded in September 1992, our repertoire includes songs from many countries, in many styles and languages.
Our performances include:
- ROXY ART HOUSE
- AFRO-CELT CEILIDH
- ONE WORLD CONCERT
- SOUTH QUEENSFERRY ARTS FESTIVAL
- A SOUTH AFRICAN EVENING WITH ALEXANDER McCALL SMITH
- EDINBURGH BOOK FESTIVAL FRINGE
- NOMADS TENT BENEFIT FOR INTERNATIONAL AID
- INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE SEA 2003
- THAMES FESTIVAL SING FOR WATER 2002-2004
- BENEFIT FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN IN BOSNIA
- DEMONSTRATION FOR FREE & FAIR VOTING IN ZIMBABWE
- DANISH CULTURAL INSTITUTE
- TINTO GREEN FESTIVAL
- MELA FESTIVAL
- TOLLCROSS MULTICULTURAL FESTIVAL
- EDINBURGH INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY CONCERT
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL CEILIDH
- BENEFIT FOR ZERO TOLERANCE
- COSMOLOGY SOCIETY CEILIDH
- TRAQUAIR FAIR
- CUPAR FESTIVAL
- MEADOWS FESTIVAL
- EDINBURGH PEACE FESTIVAL
SEDENKA are featured on the tracks "E hó hì" and "Rol hol ill leò" on Talitha MacKenzie's CD Sòlas.